Royal Edinburgh Archers?

Historic archery Societies; Rules; archery dress; archery songs & ballads; Awards and trophies.
ron f

Royal Edinburgh Archers?

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:39 am

I have recently acquired a very corroded uniform button which has a crossed bow and arrow underneath a crown with the initials REA below and below that again a thistle, it is large - 27mm and very flat which would appear to be very early, I also think I can see a bit of the makers mark S.F-- which if it is S Firmin would date it to before 1790.
I have been told it is the Royal Edinburgh Archers but I can find no trace of this club anywhere and I did wonder whether it could be an another name for the Royal Company of archers.
I would be very interested to hear members views

admin
Site Admin

Re: Royal Edinburgh Archers?

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:27 pm

Ron - I am so sorry that no-one has answered your query. I can tell you that this WAS an alternative name for the Royal Company, You can find a great deal about the Company and it's names in our "Archery Societies and Clubs " booklet. Your button was almost certainly for un-dress use, as the dress uniform button is different inasmuch as it has "King's (or Queen's) bodyguard around the edge. I suppose it is possible that your button was in use before they became the official bodyguard - but don't quote me on that one. More research needed

Return to “Recreation”